Project | Maplin Electronics
Rewiring the motherboard
Maplin Electronics is a retailer of electronic goods and electrical hobbyist products. Established in 1972 as a three-person mail order business, over the years Maplin grew to become a 2,500-strong multichannel retail chain, with over 200 stores across the UK and Ireland.
In 2012, Maplin embarked on a new digital strategy to align its commerce website and systems to provide an omni-channel experience. It did this by completely overhauling all the existing stores, widening the product range and establishing a clear online message that gave a single view of the brand and experience to the customer.
Objectives & Strategy
- Double the range of products sold online from 15,000 to 30,000 SKUs (stock keeping unit)
- Provide flexible omni-channel touch-points including desktop website, mobile website, mobile apps, call centre
- Deliver a new e-commerce platform enabling stability for future growth in international markets
- Provide Maplin Electronic’s customers with a flexible set of store fulfilment options when checking out, including Reserve & Collect and Pay & Collect, but also providing same-day delivery slots
- Integration to over 20 different merchandising and back- office systems to improve sales and site operations respectively
- Deliver to market within 6 months prior to peak Christmas trading
We delivered a new solution on the SAP Hybris platform that included all relevant commerce features, channel touch-points and back-end integrations, as well as a brand new front-end design for both desktop and mobile specific channels. The site was launched within 8 months with integration of over 30 systems and 100+ APIs.
Following the launch in November 2013, Maplin saw its strongest growth in seven years, with the new platform driving 20% growth and accounting for 10% of total sales. By 2016, the retailer had started to show signs of struggle, with like-for-like sales dropping 1.1%, however in their annual report they made sure to highlight the strong performance of its online arm, which accounted for 13.2 per cent of sales that year.
In February 2018, Maplin Electronics became one of a number of well-known, UK high-street retailers to collapse due to the perfect storm created by changing customer behaviour, increased business costs and weak pound.
Greenlight Digital’s team understood the many different components needed to deliver our vision and their focus on digital growth made them a natural choice for this project.Ryan Thomas
Multi-Channel Director, Liberty
The recent trading results show our focus on improving the Maplin product and service proposition through an enhanced web and mobile customer experience is paying off. We now have a core platform upon which we will build our future omni-channel systems to deliver an outstanding customer experience.Neil McGowan
Greenlight’s dedicated development team delivered a truly world class online retail platform, including the most technically advanced eCommerce website in our sector.Justin Petszaft
Managing Director, Master of Malt
We chose Greenlight Commerce for their understanding of what we were trying to achieve in our market, coupled with their knowledge of what is required to launch a Demandware platform within a tight timeframe and to budget.Georgina Stoaling
Director of Ecommerce, Furniture Village
Greenlight Commerce were totally professional and dedicated to our project timescale. I would describe their performance as exceptional.Tony Perks
Group CIO & CTO, The British Home Store
- 50% increase in conversion
- 45% increase in traffic
- 33% increase in revenue
Click and Collect Success
- £6.5m generated in sales
- 2014 yielded the best company results in 7 years